***This event has been postponed!***
***New date to be announced, stay tuned!!***
Leadership Gainesville Alumni Association is taking a trip down the river and you're invited! Enjoy a lazy paddle & float down the Santa Fe with your fellow LGAA friends. Bring a cooler, music, bag lunch, sunscreen, hat, sun shirt, water, etc. Dry bags suggested.
Our outfitter, Rum 138, will provide kayaks, life vests, whistles and transportation to and from the launch (27 Bridge) and landing (Rum Island) sites via shuttle van. Food, drinks, phone dry bags ($5), etc., sold at Rum 138.
Who: LGAA Members, Family & Friends
What: 1/2 Day Santa Fe River Kayak Trip
- US 27 Bridge to Rum Island w/lunch stop at Gilchrist Blue
- Paddle: appx. 2.5 hours
- Lunch & Swimming @ Gilchrist Blue: appx. 1 hour
Saturday, June 23, 2018
- 9 a.m. - Meet @ Town of Tioga / World of Beer Parking Lot to carpool
- 10 a.m. - Arrive @ Rum 138
- 10:00 a.m. -12:30 p.m. - Kayak the Santa Fe to Gilchrist Blue, just past Rum Island
- 12:30 p.m. - Lunch @ Gilchrist Blue (approx. depending on flow & paddle speed)
- 1:30-1:45 p.m. - Paddle back (super short stretch) back to Rum Island; pick up shuttle
- 2 p.m. - Depart Rum 138
** Folks with little kids or mobility issues who aren’t up for the full paddle can meet us at Gilchrist Blue by car, or rent a kayak and launch from Rum 138 and join us for short paddle (10 minutes?) over to Gilchrist Blue and back (the kids think they did the whole thing, lol). If you launch at Rum 138, we should pass by there around 12:30 p.m. and can let you know our ETA by phone when we get close.
Additional Information About Our Journey:Rum 138
- Paddle Tour:
2070 SW CR138, Fort White, FL, 32038
(just north of High Springs, US 27)
- $29 1/2 day Single Kayak w/ life vest, whistle & transportation
- $39 1/2 day Tandem Kayak w/ life vest, whistle & transportation
- $15 Roundtrip transport your kayak
Gilchrist Blue State Park - Picnic Lunch:
7450 NE 60th Street, High Springs, FL, 32643
Gilchrist Blue offers a beach, picnic tables, diving platform, concession stand and bathhouse.
Cost to join us for lunch:
- $4 per person or $6 per vehicle (2-8 passengers) or State Park Pass from land for those not kayaking but meeting us there
- $2 per person with State Park Pass from the river
- Reserve your kayak directly with Rum 138 (http://rum138.com/)
- Email Kimberly Buchholz at email@example.com to let us know you’re coming!